Thursday, August 30, 2007

LONG overdue update!

HELLOOOOOO EVERYONE!  I am so sorry it has taken me forever to update this but I am finally somewhere with an internet connection and 5 minutes to myself! Mom tells me that I have a few fans out there so here goes...

The trip from Charleston to Savannah was relatively uneventful. When we got to the drawbridge to get to our marina we realized it was broken and had to dock right downtown at the Hyatt. The next day Gorge and Quin had to go back to Atlanta so George hired Capt. Walt to drive the boat and me over to Thunderbolt Marina on the outskirts of Savannah. 

With the Quark all tied up and silent at the marina I called my old buddy Drew who had just moved to Savannah from Key West and he headed over to pick me up and take me out. Just after I got off the phone with him I heard a knock on the hull. I crawled out of the hatch to see a pretty little blonde girl, she said "Hi I am Rebecka" with a sweedish accent. She was the newest member of the crew, and I was happy to have another girl on board. She came below and we had a cocktail and got to know each other a bit, Drew showed up and we invited her out with us, she agreed but first she had to stop by her crew house and tell them she was going out.  Rebecka was workin on a 150ft motor yacht called Francine. The boat had been out of the water for 2 months while they repaired the engine so the crew was living in a cute little house up the street from the marina. We came inside and met the crew, Capt Ged and Johnny from Austrailia, and Lou from Puerto Rico, Doug from the U.S., Matt from New Zealand and Mike from England were off doing their own thing so we didnt meet them till later. They had the grill going and enough food to feed ten people and they asked us to stay for dinner. We did. It was a wonderful first night in Savannah. After dinner drew took us downtown where we dropped his car off at his apartment and called a cab. This is how we met the best cabby in Savannah, her name is Cassandra. 
Cassandra looked to be about 25 years old, heavy set as she was, and pregnant with her 4th child she told us. Her hearty laugh and helpful advice made for a great ride into town, we tipped her well, got her cell number and promised to call her for rides from now on. Which we did. All week long Cassandra shuttled us to and from the marina and resturants and bars and anywhere we needed to go if she was working when we called. 
Rebecka and I spent the week exploring and doing touristy things like riding the old town trolley. Savannah is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. The old live oaks with spanish moss dripping from the branches and the beautiful architecture made me seriously consider staying in town for a while. So much so that I took Rebeckas job on Francine when Capt Ged offered it to me.  Compared to what George had paid me for 2 weeks of work, the salary on Francine was an offer I couldnt refuse. I was torn between keeping my word and delivering the Quark to Apalachicola and staying in Savannah for a while and making a ton of money to stash away pretty fast. I told him I needed to take the job in Savannah. He was understanding and said he wished I would stay but that I needed to do what was best for me. I spent 3 days cooking for the Francine crew and doing Stewardess duties on board when I got word that I had a package at the marina office. My contacts had arrived from Dallas.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++They didnt want me to go, and I hated to leave them. Its amazing how attached I became to them in such a short period of time. I hope I will see them again someday. 
So George arrived at the boat that night and he was happy to see me and hear that I would be on the boat for the next leg, and I told him that I needed to be paid the same as Rebecka and he agreed. We gained another crew member Scott that night and left Savannah the next morning. We went a few miles offshore in sight of land and under an almost full moon we traveled overnight to a wonderful marina called the Conch House Marina in St. Augustine Fl, just in time for Reggae Sunday! We headed to the store to provision and made it back in time for dinner at the wonderful restruant at the marina. The next day we sailed 2 beautiful nights down the coast to West Palm Beach Fl, fueled up and headed across to Grand Bahama Island.
 We arrived yesterday afternoon, watched a beautiful Bahamian sunset and Rebecka and I had no problem meeting new friends in the marina. We spent the evening singing dancing and as I made cocktails we chatted with our new friends Mike, Paul and John of the fishing yacht Stranglehold. They left this morning to head to Lucaya just down the island from the West End which is where we are. Hopefully we will see them again if we make it to Lucaya. This morning Rebecka and I cleaned up the boat a little and started the laundry. We rented bikes from the cabana on the beach and rode back to the boat. We chatted with her family and her boyfriend on Skype in sweeden and now we are headed to fold the rest of the laundry and to the beach! I will post bahamas pics next time I get internet access, it may be Key West.  I will try to post some good ones from the trip down! 

No comments:

Post a Comment